Friday 3 October 2008

Reflection of the Purple KA.....

So this is what it feels like to be a proper student! My first lecture on "Understanding the Customer" and I already have millions of thoughts and questions flying around my head! I now dont feel too bad about putting people into stereotypes withing the first 2 seconds of seeing them... I'm not the only one! We had a poor visitor in class today, standing there silently in front of us all, whilst we said exactly what we thought of her; from what car we thought she had to thinking she was a beauty therapist who loved horseriding! We were all completely wrong with our judgements...just goes to show you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Despite probably embarassing the girl hugely, it was a laugh a minute for us making up her entire life history purely from looks alone.

We spent time studying the theory of Russell W Belk, the concept of "me" and "mine". The idea behind the theory was completely logical, if something of mine was lost or stolen that had any kind of value be it sentimental or monetary, I would be gutted! Chances are I could live without most of my belongings, never the less, I would still make a huge fuss! It is belongings that make a person into who they are. By losing something that belongs to us, it is like part of an identity being taken away from you.

We tried playing a game to test out Belk's theory by all bringing in anonymous belongings and sharing them amongst the group. The game involved trying to make perceptions about the owner of the items without actually knowing who they were. Some objects were extremely easy to match with the owner, proving the point that possessions say a lot about who you are. "You are what you have" is therefore in my opinion a very accurate statement.

No comments: